Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sober Mom on the Playa

For a woman in an alcohol recovery program, some would suggest that Burning Man--with its decadence and drugs--is not a good place to spend seven long days and nights. My drug counselor certainly raised an eyebrow when I told her I was going. She didn't say anything, but her eyebrow spoke volumes.

Is it a bad idea to go to Burning Man if you're clean and sober? I've been thinking a lot about this, and for me the answer is no. I'm not worried that I'll suffer a lapse, relapse, or a total collapse while I'm on the Playa. I believe this for a number of reasons. One reason is that being sober just feels too good. I can't imagine risking my health and sanity for a temporary good time. Another reason is that having been to Burning Man before I understand that drugs and booze are certainly available, however, they're not as *easily* available as the reports coming out of the Playa would have you believe. I'm not going to seek out cheap thrills in the desert.

Another reason is that the sight of people drinking or getting/being high doesn't make me want to join them. This is an especially important point on the Playa since a lot of people will be doing those things. I know many of my camp mates will be drinking at night and having a good time, and I will be drinking cold soda and having a good time, too. The common denominator is the "good time." I can have a good time even when I'm not drunk. It's taken me some time to realize that but knowing it has been crucial for the success of my sobriety.

But the main reason I'm not at risk for relapsing is also the main reason I don't want to relapse: my kids will be with me. I am taking my kids to Burning Man because I know that there won't be any situations in which my judgment will be compromised. If I thought I was going to drink or take drugs, I wouldn't bring my kids with me. If either Thomas or Emily gets lost or if anything happened to them, I would never forgive myself if I had been inebriated or otherwise incapacitated.

I'm 100% positive that my Burn this year will be better than ever both because my kids are with me and because I'm going to experience it with all senses alert and alive.

I'm not the only person who won't be drunk or high. There's information on the Burning Man website about being sober on the Playa, and there are three camps that offer regularly scheduled 12-step meetings: Anonymous Village, Hokey Pokey Camp, and Camp Stella. The schedule is on the Camp Stella website.

I don't regularly attend AA meetings at home, but I'm going to try and attend at least one while I'm at Burning Man. It will be good for me to touch base with other sober folks. I like how they explain it on the Camp Stella site:


While some see Burning Man as a big party, many see it as an opportunity for growth. Going to meetings may help you get the most out of your experience. Besides, where else can you go to a meeting where people are wearing costumes or perhaps nothing at all? This is also one of the few places where there are no baskets passed during the meeting (with the exception of ice and coffee center camp, cash transactions are not permitted at Burning Man). Other than that, a 12 step meeting might be the most normal hour of your day.


I'll drink [a cold soda] to that!