Saturday, August 4, 2007

Planning for Burning Man: His-n-Her To Do Lists

I got a lot done yesterday afternoon during my three hours of childfree shopping. My first stop was Orchard Supply Hardware where I picked up lots of hardware-y stuff that we need and a bunch of things I didn't know we needed until I saw them, like bike horns for causing a commotion and plastic bins for the kids's clothes. I also picked up spray paint, lightweight tarps, and a couple of fake grass rugs. After OSH, I headed over to Goodwill where I snagged a bunch of used sheets and some silky curtain panels that I'm imagining will be nice as sides to the shade structure Mike is planning. After Goodwill, I checked out Salvation Army and found two large Barbie cars for Playa toys for the kids. At $2.00 apiece, they were the bargain of the day. Last but not least, on our way to dinner last night, Mike and I stopped at Salvation Army in San Francisco and I picked up a magenta, fake-fur vintage coat. It's so neat! Plus it was on sale and quite the deal for $15.

While I was thifting, I remembered that Mike and I are planning on renewing our vows on the Playa. I looked at some wedding dresses at Salvation Army and was shocked to find that a used wedding dress costs $250. For some reason, I was thinking I could pick one up for $25. Silly me. Last night I spent some time thinking about our Playa wedding and I'll blog my thoughts tomorrow.

But first, here are the results of our first Burning Man planning meeting: his-n-her to do lists.

Mike's To Do List

  • Figure out feasibility of having a solar panel on our RV. Can we put it on house when we get home?
  • Gather stuff for shade structure
  • Inventory stock/buy as needed: El wire, blinky lights, glo necklaces
  • Research evaporation pond/buy stuff as needed
  • Learn how the RV works

Mary's To Do List

  • Organize and pack
  • Shop for anything we need that isn't on Mike's to do list
  • Be liason to KidsVille community via email list (until we hit the Playa)
  • Shop for food
  • Call RV place and see if we can pick up day earlier

After discussing what still needs to get done, Mike and I agreed that we are in a good position, planning-wise. It feels good working as a team, knowing that the hard work we're putting into this trip will result in a fabulous week at Burning Man.