Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Partial To Do List of Crafty Projects

Countdown to Burning Man: 26 days

As promised, I'm working on our GREAT BIG PACKING LIST, and I will post it tomorrow. I've also decided that tomorrow's weekly date night with the husband will be a Burning Man planning meeting, so this weekend I will be posting His-n-Her Burning Man To Do Lists. What fun!

Today I'm compiling a list of crafty projects I want to do before we leave for the Black Rock City Playa. It goes without saying that this list is subject to change.

  • Decorate our bikes. This year's art theme is the Green Man so I want to do a dark green spray paint on the bikes and wrap them with fake greenery from the craft store. Both bikes need lights on the front and baskets.
  • Decorate the bike trailer for the kids. I want to do something with greenery to make it funky for the day, and lights on it for nighttime safety. I also want to make it comfy inside for the kids with pillows(?) and pockets for them to stash their stuff.
  • Yesterday I ordered shirts for the kids and us with the KidsVille logo on them. I uploaded the logo and ordered the shirts from Cafe Press. I got white shirts that I'm planning on dying green. [To Do: order dye from Dharma Trading Co..]
  • Tie-dye stuff with Emily and Thomas as a group project. They'll get excited about picking things out to dye and helping out with the dying, and it will give us a chance to discuss our upcoming trip.
  • Make message board for outside of RV. I bought a bunch of stuff for this project at Daiso Japan. The message board will be for visitors who come by while we're out. Also, I just think it will be a fun project to do.
  • Design and make some kind of banner for the outside of our RV that reads The Tsaobugs. I'm thinking I'll paint this in rainbow colors on a green tarp that I have. This will make our RV easier for us, the kids, and our friends on the Playa to spot!
  • Decorate my motorcycle boots with spray paint and stencils.
  • Decorate Emily's boots with spray paint and stencils.
  • Costumes! This could go in all kinds of directions.
  • Think about our shade structure and how we can make it both secure and homey. I'm thinking solar lights strung around the outside and some of our solar tiki torches duct taped to the four posts. What else?... A couple of trips to thrift stores should yield some fun, decorative items. I'm pretty sure a walk around my house will yield others.
  • Contemplate the idea of a craft project we can share with our neighbors. Something edible? Something for kids?

I can't think of anything else at this moment, but I know that will change as I start my projects. Tie-dye has a way of spreading, I've noticed...