Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Burning Man: Same Place, Same Time

Countdown to Burning Man: 6 Days

I've been spending a lot of time surfing the Web during my time of sickness, and it's been helping to brighten my mood.

Especially fun to peruse is the 2007 list of theme camps that will be at Burning Man. What are theme camps? "Theme camps are the interactive core of Burning Man." People put them together for no other reason then to amuse and satisfy others. They range from wonderfully silly to artfully serious to peacefully chill to the equivalent of a dance club in the desert.

Or how about a roller disco? Yes, back for 2007 is the infamous Black Rock Roller Disco. I was so excited to find out about this theme camp for a number of reasons. One, because it's put together by the fine people who skate in Golden Gate Park every Sunday. Two, because I used to love watching the skaters when I lived on 5th Ave. I even laced up skates myself on occasion.

And three, because I have fond memories of roller rink skating from my youth. When I was in jr. high we lived in Austin, Texas; it was the early 80s and skating was still popular. No inline skates yet... it was old skool all the way! I don't know about you, but when I hear the opening beats to "Get Down Tonight," I know that I need to get my butt off the bench and get on the floor. The lyrics are appropriate for Burning Man, too, especially this part:


Baby, babe, I'll meet you,
Same place, same time.
Where we can get together
And ease up our mind.



I had a lot of fun yesterday perusing the website of the Black Rock Roller Disco. If you've got some time, do yourself a favor and watch the three videos about Burning Man put together by D. Miles Jr., San Francisco's "GodFather of Skating" and one of the organizers of the Black Rock Roller Disco. He filmed at last year's Burning Man, and his perspective is refreshing while his commentary is funny as hell.